Saturday, May 19, 2007

Back to the Future

Le Corbusier's Villa Savoye

Went to the Corcoran's new exhibit, Modernism: Designing a New World on Friday. The thing was massive, taking up all of the museum's second floor and even a few rooms on the first. It was exhaustive (and even a little exhausting). And truly amazing.
I tend to favor later Modernism, especially mid-Century architecture. (Totally loved the section on Purism--especially Le Corbusier) Seeing the origins and paths the movement took helped me see those old favs in a new light.
Only complaint: The guards are a little too enthusiastic. I paid almost $20 for my tix. If I want to lean against a blank wall, then why don't you cut me some fucking slack. Please.
Update: Here's a 3D animated tour of the interior of Le Corbusier's Villa Savoye (pictured above).

No comments: