Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Time Capsule Tuesdays: Schoolhouse Rocks

Schoolhouse Rocks is pretty much played out nowadays, thanks to all you lame hipsters out there. But when I was young, these cartoons really resonated. I remember sitting at my grandmother's house and at school watching and singing these songs. That's how ubiquitous they were. And while singing never helped my multiplication tables, the segment explaining how a bill becomes a law actually taught me something useful. Take that, Sunday School!

I'm posting Three Is a Magic Number for no other reason than the line "A man and a woman had a little baby. They had three in the family." My parents were divorced by this time, I had two brothers, and even then was super gay. So this song became one of my first clues that 1) the media lies, and 2) the expressed culture doesn't always reflect the actual culture. Fuckers.


No comments: